This work was carried out in the context of service learning within the framework of the Higher Programme (executive) in Social Impact Management and Measurement at Comillas Pontifical University.
A system for managing and measuring the impact of the Tara For Women Foundation was established, which involved assessing the value it creates for the different stakeholders, but mainly for the women beneficiaries, taking into account both the positive and negative effects that may arise when implementing the foundation’s activities. Impact measurement is a continuous learning process. By managing and measuring impact, we obtain information and learn whether the foundation is moving in the direction it has set out to go.
The process that followed has taken into account what was identified by the organisations that form part of the Think Tank of the Impact Chair of the University of Comillas in the report “Proposals for the measurement and management of social impact. Measuring to decide” in which they describe that the systematic practice of Social Impact Management and Measurement has a positive impact on social impact:
By putting the knowledge acquired into practice, we produced a document that will enable us to draw up a reality check to establish the scope of benefits and obstacles.
- A step towards a social contract, linking with stakeholders.
- Continuous improvement: measure to learn and manage.
- Greater credibility and accountability: strategy based on objective and reliable data.
- Efficient use of resources: more efficient allocation of resources based on verified data.
- Better willingness to receive funds: attracting private capital and optimising public spending.
- A more robust social economy: contributing to a better understanding of aggregate impacts.
- Stakeholder identification and engagement.
- Measuring attribution and contribution.
- Lack of common standards for measurement.
- Lack of data or inadequate data.
- Lack of measurement culture.
- Scarcity of resources.
Putting the knowledge acquired into practice, the working team produced a document that will enable us to:
- Elaborate an analysis of the reality with which to establish the scope and purpose of the Foundation.
- Draw up a mapping of the stakeholders.
- Design and validate a first approach to the Theory of Change.
- Elaborate on the value chain of the Tara Foundation.
- Elaborate a proposal for a communication plan.
The work has followed the methodology established by the Chair of Impact of the University of Comillas with the different impact measurement and management tools in a sufficiently flexible way to be applied by the Foundation. All this has been carried out based on a highly participatory process in which the Foundation’s team has been involved from the outset. To achieve maximum impact, we have worked from a 360-degree vision, taking into account all possible perspectives.
Source: Text taken from the study delivered by the team of the Environmental Chair Master’s Degree, July 2023.
This work was carried out by the Master’s team of the Chair of Management and Measurement of Social Impact of the Universidad Pontificia Comillas, our most sincere thanks to the whole team, it has been a very enriching experience working with them:
- José Antonio Rey Álvarez
- Irene Torres Carreño
- Rita Méndez Gil
- Rubén Peris Martí
- Tatiana Ayala Arcos
We loved this sentence included in his thesis, which we have copied and pasted verbatim